The Edmonton Kennel Club was formed in 1910 by a group of local dog fanciers. The first president was Mr. Charles May, the mayor of Edmonton at the time. Club meetings were held in the Council Chambers of the Civic Building. Educational talks were presented by members on their particular breed. Some of the breeds owned by members in those days were Bulldogs, Airedale Terriers, Wire-Haired and Smooth Fox Terriers, Scottish Terriers, Irish Terriers, Cocker Spaniels, Labradors, Flat-coated and Curly-coat Retrievers, Pomeranians, and Poodles.
Occupations of members ranged from mayor to blacksmith, boxer, beauty salon owner, railway worker, horticulturist, butcher, and nurse.The following EKC members were Canadian Kennel Club directors: Mr. Wally Jacob (pictured above on the right), Mr. Bob MacKillop, and Mrs. Marie M. Gardner. A number of EKC members have been all-breed conformation judges, obedience trial judges, and lure coursing judges.
Prizes were often donated by local merchants. Among those listed are phonograph records, lamps, fishing rod, dog collar, travelling rug, 10 gallons of gasoline, and flashlights, as well as silver trophies and gold medallions.
In the early years, the Edmonton Kennel Club shows raised funds for various good causes: Junior Hospital League charities and overseas war comforts. In 1946 and 1947, 50% of proceeds were devoted to comforts for hospitalized war veterans.